I keep on working day and night on my Toshiba laptop without any respite. One afternoon as I was holding a cup of tea in one hand and punching a key, suddenly there was a loud noise in front of the house. I jerked to the front and the tea splashed on to the laptop. While most of the keys were unaffected, the 'R' and 'U' keys stopped working. I tried several remedies like pulling out the key tops and drying the bottom with cotton swabs to absorb moisture; keeping the computer in an upside down position overnight. But both the keys were practically dead. I had lot of work to do. All my outputs were without 'r' and 'u'.
Suddenly the idea of downloading a virtual keyboard flashed to me. I searched the net and could get one. It was quite useful and served my immediate purpose. Meanwhile I contacted a service provider over phone and told my problem. She promised to send an operator to my house to look at the instrument. She told me while the problem could be solved easily in few cases, most might require replacement of the entire key board assembly.She further added that it might cost around Rs.5000. When I heard the charges I got shocked. I seriously started looking at web addresses to ascertain the price of key board in India.
Problems look simple at the outset to solve;but as one looks at ways and means of solving, difficulties start rising one by one. I had to find out the exact model name and model number of my laptop. Searching all round my computer I could locate it in an insignificant place and in light print.I knew now that it was called,as L305-S5968. Searching round in Indian stores I could locate it in only one stores that too at a cost of Rs.2800/-. While I was searching for the part I was also looking at the procedure for dismantling and re assembling the keypad. I could read several procedures.
I decided to open the keypad. I found it pretty difficult to unscrew the holding screws as those were tiny and had Philip's screw heads. After much struggle I could loosen both. I could ease out the keypad from its location. I found a wiring harness fitting in to a connecting slot on the computer. Without venturing further I screwed the keypad back in position.
Next day the service operator came and inspected the laptop and after dismantling the keypad and inspecting, he informed, it had to be replaced. He wanted to take the laptop to his workshop and repair it there. My experience with Indian service centres prevented me from handing over the computer. Once it is handed over there is no guarantee when it will be returned. The owner has to be at the mercy of the service provider. I asked the operator to give me a quotation for repairs and do the repair at my premises. He agreed and got my email address promising to send the quote by evening. Late at night I was informed over phone that it would cost Rs.2500.
I intensified my search for the keypad next morning and stumbled upon the item in the Indian eBay. The laptop I have is called a satellite model and the exact keypad for the same was available at eBay for a price of Rs.1150. I could also make use of a coupon and ordered the keypad for Rs.950 with free delivery. Around 10.30 in the morning the lady from the service outfit called and asked if she could go ahead and execute the repair. I told her, I was differing the repair, as it was expensive. She was not convinced with my reply but I had no qualms as I had earlier paid for their visit and their quote was exorbitant.
The keypad arrived after 3 days as it had to be flown from New Delhi. I was carrying on my regular work with the help of the virtual keypad. It took hardly 10 minutes to take out the old keypad and insert the new one. While removing the wiring harness locks at the sides were to be loosened and care had to be taken.The fitment was perfect and the new key pad started working effortlessly. Now a days, I have stopped having drinks while working.
Suddenly the idea of downloading a virtual keyboard flashed to me. I searched the net and could get one. It was quite useful and served my immediate purpose. Meanwhile I contacted a service provider over phone and told my problem. She promised to send an operator to my house to look at the instrument. She told me while the problem could be solved easily in few cases, most might require replacement of the entire key board assembly.She further added that it might cost around Rs.5000. When I heard the charges I got shocked. I seriously started looking at web addresses to ascertain the price of key board in India.
Problems look simple at the outset to solve;but as one looks at ways and means of solving, difficulties start rising one by one. I had to find out the exact model name and model number of my laptop. Searching all round my computer I could locate it in an insignificant place and in light print.I knew now that it was called,as L305-S5968. Searching round in Indian stores I could locate it in only one stores that too at a cost of Rs.2800/-. While I was searching for the part I was also looking at the procedure for dismantling and re assembling the keypad. I could read several procedures.
I decided to open the keypad. I found it pretty difficult to unscrew the holding screws as those were tiny and had Philip's screw heads. After much struggle I could loosen both. I could ease out the keypad from its location. I found a wiring harness fitting in to a connecting slot on the computer. Without venturing further I screwed the keypad back in position.
Next day the service operator came and inspected the laptop and after dismantling the keypad and inspecting, he informed, it had to be replaced. He wanted to take the laptop to his workshop and repair it there. My experience with Indian service centres prevented me from handing over the computer. Once it is handed over there is no guarantee when it will be returned. The owner has to be at the mercy of the service provider. I asked the operator to give me a quotation for repairs and do the repair at my premises. He agreed and got my email address promising to send the quote by evening. Late at night I was informed over phone that it would cost Rs.2500.
I intensified my search for the keypad next morning and stumbled upon the item in the Indian eBay. The laptop I have is called a satellite model and the exact keypad for the same was available at eBay for a price of Rs.1150. I could also make use of a coupon and ordered the keypad for Rs.950 with free delivery. Around 10.30 in the morning the lady from the service outfit called and asked if she could go ahead and execute the repair. I told her, I was differing the repair, as it was expensive. She was not convinced with my reply but I had no qualms as I had earlier paid for their visit and their quote was exorbitant.
The keypad arrived after 3 days as it had to be flown from New Delhi. I was carrying on my regular work with the help of the virtual keypad. It took hardly 10 minutes to take out the old keypad and insert the new one. While removing the wiring harness locks at the sides were to be loosened and care had to be taken.The fitment was perfect and the new key pad started working effortlessly. Now a days, I have stopped having drinks while working.
No comments:
Post a Comment